Sunday, May 10, 2009

Guest Post: Choices in Grief

Written in the words of a mom who lost a child:

From all the studies that I have done, losing a child immediately - without any warning - is the worst. The only thing worst is losing more than one child.

I have discovered that a person has three choices when “Interrupted Expectations" come:
1.) You can despise the moment and rail against it. By doing this you wonder: "Why did this happen to me?", "Why am I going through this?", and one can even blame God.

2.) You can become discouraged by the event, lose heart, and give up. By looking at it this way you want to give up and throw in the towel.

3.) You can endure it and be trained by it. I felt this was the best way so I have worked very hard to handle my loss this way. Everything that happens to us is for the eternal purpose of God.

I can remember worrying about my daughter for years. I wanted her to be perfect and set a good example for everyone else. I thought she belonged to me and that it was my responsibility to raise her. That worrying didn’t help because God had another plan for her. I still have to remind myself several times that she was on loan to me. I find peace in knowing that God knew exactly when He was going to call her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.