Monday, June 15, 2009

Memories

My husband and I were watching an old Barbara Stanwyck movie. It is about a Mom of two young boys who loses her husband to a long time illness. A friend of her's suggests that she should sell her house and move away from all of the memories of her husband. She says "Memories aren't as painful as people think." Oh how true.

People are afraid to mention memories of those who have died. It is thought that this rude thinking that mentioning memories would be too painful. Actually the opposite is true. It is the memories that you cling to to help you get through the grief. On a personal level, one of my biggest fears is forgetting those times I had and others forgetting as well.

A friend sent me this quote that I thought was so perfect:
The mention of my sister's name may bring tears to my eyes,
But it never fails to bring music to my ears.
If you are really my friend, let me hear the beautiful music of her name.
It soothes my broken heart, and sings to my soul.
-Author Unknown-

1 comment:

  1. i like this post. i lost my mommy 2 years ago and people always whisper about her to me. I'm like seriously? Just speak aloud. Yes, I cry now when I think of her, but my, the smiles her memories can bring to me as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.