Sunday, September 6, 2009

Guest Post: Taking Hope to Heart



I wear two rings. The one on my left hand is a symbol of love for my husband. The ring on my right hand is a small silver band with one word on it…HOPE.

This month marks the five-year anniversary of the reason I bought that little ring. My husband and I have been on the journey to starting a family all that time. In a way it feels like forever and in another it seems incredibly short.

When we started down that road I thought hope meant believing God would give us a child. As time went on I discovered true hope is believing God is good no matter what He decides to do. Let me tell you, getting to that place is not simple, neat, or easy. But it’s worth it.

I used to think hope was a fluffy, faraway feeling—like cotton candy for your heart. I’ve learned real hope is gritty, real, and raw. It’s strong and wild, unpredictable and fierce.

I’ve had so many conversations with God along the lines of, “Lord, no more with the hope thing. Just answer the prayers already.” (Haven’t you had those too?) He lovingly responds, “Lean into me, daughter, lean into me.”

When I listen and lean rather than resist, I find rest. I have the hope my heart craves. And (dare I say it?) I even discover joy.

We tend to think what we need most is whatever we’re asking for in that moment. God knows what we really need is more of Him in every moment.

I’m holding my ring up to the light as I finish writing these words. I can see scratches on the surface. The edges are rough in places. It still needs some polishing.

But somehow, despite it all, in the center HOPE remains.

HOPE is more than just a word—
it’s a state of being.
It’s a firm belief that
even if you don’t know how,
even if you don’t know when,
God will come through
and better days are ahead.
Life sends rain...
Hope dances in the puddles
until the sun comes out again.

Taken from: Rain on Me by Holley Gerth

About the author: Holley Gerth is an award-winning writer and editorial director for DaySpring and is the editorial director for (in)courage. She is also the author of Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope and Encouragement for Difficult Times. Visit Holley online at Heart to Heart with Holley Thank you Holley for allowing me to share this article with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.