Sunday, December 6, 2009

Infertility is Real

Everywhere I turn I find people who are or have experienced infertility. The God-given desire to have a baby is strong and real.

There is no getting around it. People you don't even know ask when are you going to start a family. Friends around you are "surprised" by a pregnancy. High school girls are getting pregnant. Mother's Day comes once a year to remind you...you are not a mother. Is God really saying "no" or "just wait"?

I can look back and see God's hand in our 1 1/2 years of infertility. I realize now how His timing was perfect. Easy to say now that God has said "yes" three times to my husband and I. But being in the middle of it, your heart aches.

Here are a few things that I learned in that year and a half:

- People are stupid and nosy. Don't ever ask or tease someone about starting a family. You never know how many doctor visits that they have gone to.

- Don't assume anything. You don't know what happens behind closed doors.

- Infertility can draw a husband and wife together or pull them apart. It is up to you whether you allow bitterness and anger to take hold.

- Statistics mean nothing to God.

- It doesn't matter if you have the best doctor and the best that medicine can offer, God creates life in His timing.

- Infertility doesn't mean that you are doing something wrong in your life. Spend time on your knees but not with blame. For some reason - which may have nothing to do with you - God is saying "not now."

Hannah's Prayer Ministry is a wonderful ministry to provide Christian support for fertility challenges and miscarriages. Included on the site is a forum, links to other sites, and recommended books.

Is there a book or website that you can suggest?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I am experiencing this exact situation currently.
    At times I catch myself blaming me and anyone else I can think of to blame. It truly is hard, especially now around the holidays as family and friends gather together and everyone seems to be curious as to if we're thinking about or expecting to have children. People are so voicetrous when they shouldn't be.
    I often step back to think and realize that God has a plan for me and the timing isn't right.
    Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.