Monday, August 30, 2010

Review: Choosing to SEE

Choosing to SEE: A Journey of Struggle and Hope
I have blogged several times about Steven Curtis Chapman and his family and the loss of their five-year-daughter Maria. If this name rings a bell, Steven Curtis Chapman has a list a mile long of awards he has won in the Christian music world. Truly some of my favorite songs are his. In May 2008, his 5 year old daughter, Maria Sue Chapman, was struck by a car driven by one of her teenage brothers.

I heard that his wife, Mary Beth, had just finished writing a book about her life and dealing with the loss.  I could not wait to read the book.  I was not only not disappointed but I was very impressed. 

Throughout my own Interrupted Expectations, I have read several grief books.  Honestly, most miss the mark.  Mary Beth has chosen to be real and raw.  Because of this, God is going to use this book in big, big ways.  While the last half of the book deals with the loss of her adopted daughter, the first half explains the Type A personality that had driven Mary Beth to control her surroundings.  Slowly, she has learned to let go. 

Several times, I stopped and reread passages to my husband to share in some very funny moments in the Chapman family.  Other times, I cried along as I read things that were very close to home.

In most book reviews that I do, I spend the next few blogs writing excerpts taken from the book.  For the first time, I am not going to do this.  In truth, I don't know where to start.  If I chose a place, I would end up copying 50% of the book and then we get into copyright laws!  But this book will show up time to time in the future as I reference back to it. 

If you are grieving - read this book.
If you have a friend grieving - read this book as you will learn very personal ways to bless a family.
If you haven't had Interrupted Expectations where intense grief is involved - read this book so that you have a better understand for those who have.

Over all - just read it.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more!!! I read this book this summer while on a vacation in Mexico. My best friend recently lost her adult son in a very tragic accident. I was looking for a book to help me try to understand what she was going through. Mary Beth revealed to us her deepest feelings & her very broken heart & how friends & family surrounded her with God's love. I highly recommend this book!!! God is using Maria's story to comfort other families.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.