Monday, October 4, 2010

Praying for One Thing and Getting Another


This excerpt is taking from Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God Bible study. If you have never done this study, I highly encourage you to.

Praying for one thing and getting another
Author: Henry Blackaby

Have you ever prayed for one thing and got another? I have. Then some dear soul would say “God is trying to get you to persist. Keep on praying until you get what you want. “ During one of those times I kept asking God in one direction and I kept getting something else.

In the middle of that experience, I started reading from the second chapter of Mark in my quiet time. That is the story of the four men who brought their crippled friend to Jesus to be healed. Because of the crowd, they opened a hole in the roof and let the man down in front of Jesus. Jesus said, “Son, your sins are forgiven” (Mark 2:5)

I started to read on but I sensed that the Spirit of God said, “Henry, did you see that?” I went back and began to meditate on that Scripture. Under the guiding, teaching ministry of the Holy Spirit, I began to see a wonderful truth. The four men were asking Jesus to heal the man, but Jesus forgave the man’s sins. Why? They asked for one thing, and Jesus gave another! This man and his friends asked for a particular gift, but Jesus wanted to make the man a child of God so he could inherit everything!

I found myself weeping before God and saying: Oh, God, if I ever give You a request and You have more to give me than I am asking, cancel my request!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.