Monday, January 3, 2011

Review: Softly and Tenderly

Softly and Tenderly (A Songbird Novel)

Just a year ago, I started a new book The Sweet By and By by recording artist Sara Evans with Rachel Hauck.  In my review I stated, "I was sorry that I started the book over the Christmas season because all I wanted to do was read!"  The second book in the Songbird Series - Softly and Tenderly - was exactly the same.  Full of surprises and hard to put down. 

Unlike most people, I almost never read the back of the book.  I don't want to have any leads to the plot.  Because of this, my overview of this book is very slim. Jade is married.  She owns two antique stores.  She has a past that haunts her.  The present terrifies her.  The future seems unbearable.   I can sum it up in two words - Interrupted Expectations

Momma C's Thoughts:  Much of what I wrote in my review of the first book applies to the second one.  The authors have an amazing way with words.  The luring descriptions pull you right in.  I enjoyed reading this book and look forward to the final book in the series.  But, I want to preface that statement with – this could be a very difficult story to read for people who have had similar circumstances in life.

A quote on the front of the book compares this book with those of Karen Kingsbury's.  Since I have read almost every Karen Kingsbury book ever written, I can say with assurance that I would not put these books in the same category.  If the movie rating system was used on books, Kingsbury would be "G" and the Songbird Series would receive a "PG-13."  This is not a book that I would allow my daughter to read until a maturity level is reached.  The plot includes some tough topics and some crude comments are made at times.  While this may not shock most people, those who are anticipating a Baxter-style book are going to be in for a rude surprise. 

Scattered throughout the book are references to God, prayer, salvation.  I was disappointed that the references weren't more blatant.  The authors had a golden opportunity to present the Gospel and I feel they left it hanging. 

I enjoyed this book but understand that it is not for everyone.

Thank you to BookSneeze for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.